The holiday season is here, which means many Florida residents will be doing a lot of traveling over the next month or so. With the added traffic on the roads unfortunately comes an increased risk for motor vehicle accidents, which is why you need to know what action to take if you happen to be involved in a wreck.
Here are the steps to take in order to follow the law and protect your rights:
1. Stop your vehicle and make sure it is in a location that will not cause a hazard to other drivers.
2. See if anyone involved in the accident has been hurt, and call for medical help, if needed.
3. Exchange contact information with all other drivers and passengers.
4. Report the accident to police if it appears to have involved property damage of more than $500, drunk driving, an injury or death, or a hit-and-run.
5. Follow up to make sure that the responding officer has filed a crash report.
6. Get medical treatment, even if you think that your injuries aren’t serious as they can get worse over time.
7. Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer about how to proceed.
8. Do not accept a settlement offer from an insurance company, including your own, until you have verified with an attorney that it is fair and reasonable.
By taking these steps, you not only prevent getting into trouble with the law, you also help ensure that you will receive a fair settlement for your injuries, property damage and other expenses relating to the accident.
With all of that said, we wish you safe travels over the holiday season.